VETS Canada to Kick Off Second Annual Operation Holiday Helping Hands
Veterans Emergency Transition Services Canada (VETS Canada) will be rolling out their second annual Operation Holiday Helping Hands on December 3-9th; a coast to coast outreach initiative to support and aid our less fortunate Canadians, and to ensure those who served our country are not forgotten during the Holidays. VETS Canada volunteers will be helping out at local shelters / drop in centers and volunteering for the general good of the community across the country, and will also be coordinating a gift card drive for veterans in need.
“As the Holidays draw near, it is easy to forget the fact that thousands of individuals across Canada are struggling to stay fed and stay warm, including those who have served to protect our country,” says Jim Lowther, VETS Canada’s President and CEO. “This national initiative encourages much needed dialogue regarding the ongoing issues of homelessness and food insecurity amongst Canadian veterans and civilians alike, while also providing a chance for Canadians to help those in need.” Regarding the gift card drive, Lowther adds: “It’s amazing what something as small as a gift card can mean to veteran who is struggling during the Holidays. To a veteran in need, it isn’t just a gift card: it’s proof that Canadians care, and that they aren’t forgotten.”
As part of Operation Holiday Helping Hands, VETS Canada is encouraging all Canadians to consider providing a helping hand at their local shelter, or donating a gift card for a veteran in need this Holiday:
How Can the Public Get Involved?
- Volunteer at your local shelter or drop-in centre between December 3 – 9, 2017, and Tweet @vetscanada / send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate a gift card to a veteran in need:
- Mail a gift card to VETS Canada at: 53 Queen Street, PO Box 214, Dartmouth NS, B2Y 3Y3
- Mail a cheque with “GiftCard Drive” written on the memo line
- Donate online at: http://vetscanada.org/donate.php
- Share our event on social media! @vetscanada
Contact us for further information!